Tedworth House
Tedworth House

Construction

Help for Heroes is a charity launched on 1st October 2007 to provide lifetime support to those wounded in the service of their country. It was founded by Bryn Parry OBE and his wife Emma Parry OBE after they visited soldiers at Selly Oak Hospital in Birmingham. Help for Heroes supports those with injuries and illnesses sustained while serving in the British Armed Forces and believes that no matter when someone served, they should have the support they need to lead active, independent and fulfilling lives.

Tedworth House Recovery Centre, Tidworth, is where Help for Heroes operates the majority of its recovery services from in the South. With a history going back as far as 1650, Tedworth House was built as it stands today between 1828 and 1830. After changing hands throughout the 1800s it was acquired by The War Office in 1897 and later served as a club for American soldiers throughout the second world war. Currently holding twenty-eight separate Listed items within the house itself, which is a Grade II* Listed Building, Tedworth House sits as a prominent and significant establishment in the Wiltshire countryside.

Help for Heroes took over this historic site in February 2011 in order to transform the compound into a fully functioning recovery center supporting those with injuries and illnesses sustained while serving in the British Armed Forces. Irrespective of when any patient has served Help for Heroes provide the support and assistance they need to live an active, independent and fulfilling life.

Tedworth House is fully adapted and offers 46 En-suite bedrooms and four family suites.  The Centre has a range of offices, consultation and meeting rooms, and specialist rooms for adaptive sports, education courses, relaxation and socializing which have been designed to ensure the best possible recovery.

Ensafe became involved with Tedworth House through the referral from another client in 2016. The building was professionally surveyed for ACMs during the initial 2010/2011 scoping and design stages.

Several areas of the building had asbestos-containing materials (ACMs) removed during the conversion from an Officers’ Mess in 2012. The second survey in 2015 identified low residual levels of asbestos debris on lagging in the main cellar, and to part of west wing lofts. As a result, an additional re-inspection was required whereby Ensafe staff all of whom were ex-service personnel, freely gave their time to carry out the re-inspection at no cost to the charity. Under the management of Ensafe in 2016 all debris on lagging was removed, with all surfaces PVA sealed. Since our work with help for heroes in 2016 we agreed to complete the annual asbestos reinspection the following year and this kind gesture has been repeated each year FOC.

Facilities Manager, Mark Teadham has said “It was satisfying to have the work completed from the very community we exist to support. Having this inspection completed free of charge means we have more money to spend on those we support, and the survey results being clear gives me the confidence that the building is safe for all.”

With the next five year fire risk assessment due in December 2020 we hope to continue working with Help For Heroes and assist in providing our specialist services to this great organisation that operates for an even greater cause.

Contact a
consultant today!